Friday, September 10, 2010

Answered Prayers

I was going for a walk last night (which, by the way, I got too comfortable doing so late this summer, need to go earlier!), and had a thought. I was reflecting on how God answers prayers.

I noticed that the prayers God has answered over the last 3 years - and I mean prayers that He obviously answered - have been for things that would lead to spiritual growth. !

Exhibit A: I prayed that God would show me sins that I didn't know were there, you know, the one's that aren't so glaringly obvious. Then I started reading my Bible from beginning to end. I prayed that He would show me my sin there. And He did! In Exodus! He taught me how I wasn't trusting in Him, but in other things, that that is idolatry which is a sin. He taught me about my pride.

Exhibit B: I prayed for Christian friends and a good church. I found my current church on Google (searched "Capitol Hill DC Baptist Church," because I wanted to find a Baptist church on Capitol Hill - whoa). And from visiting and joining Capitol Hill Baptist Church, I have made many great friends and have godly counselors. I have learned sound doctrine, and have a deeper understanding of the Gospel.

Exhibit C: After finding my current church, but before I met many people, I prayed that the Lord would send someone to reach out to me. Although it may not seem obvious, I'm a pretty shy person, and it was difficult for me to meet well, anyone. One morning while I was getting ready to go to church, I prayed this prayer, and that very morning I met someone who reached out to me! Funny how this feels like an instance where God was saying "I was just waiting for you to ask Me!"

Exhibit D: When I found out I was losing my second job in the span of 6 months, I prayed that the Lord would allow me to be not only content in my circumstances, but joyful. Because I was not like that during/after the first lay off. At all. And I wanted to do a better job of being a witness to Christ, as someone who trusts in His promises. And He has definitely answered that prayer! It's amazing how the Lord, in His great kindness, has given me such peace - because that certainly doesn't come naturally to me.

And I am confident that He has answered countless other little prayers along the way that have lead to spiritual growth for me. And I am even more confident that He will continue to do so. Because He loves me, and His works ultimately glorify Him.

To HIM be the glory forever and ever, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment