Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Proverbs 6:25 Eyes

Proverbs 6:25 - Do not desire her beauty in your heart,

and do not let her capture you with her eyelashes;

I've been thinking about that thing with the eyes. Don't worry, this isn't another flirting or flirting revisited post. It's just that I know guys who enjoy receiving that look from girls. And it's funny, because I just read a blog post about modesty that mentioned the above verse. This is what they said about it:

“She captures him with her eyelashes,” luring him with just a look (Proverbs 6:25). And for some of us, that’s all we need…a look…and we got ‘em!

The majority of the post is about dressing modestly, if you're interested here it is.

Anyway, I'm going to let you know a little bit about my heart. A few years ago I found myself giving that "look" to a guy from my church, and I think that he noticed it. Seemed to reciprocate it, too. Not long after the exchange I started to feel bad about it. Well, not bad, maybe just weird. I started thinking to myself "do I like this guy?" I mean, I would probably only ever give that look to a guy I like, right? I started to think back in my dating past; did I give that look to guys before? And I probably did give that look to guys that I liked, but I don't remember it. What I do remember is giving that "look" to a bartender when I wanted a free drink. To a bouncer when I wanted in free or when I wanted him to let me in with a fake ID. And the scary thing is that look worked almost every time. Seriously, some of my girlfriends would just watch in amazement. Most of my girlfriends were just as good at it as I was.

I came to the conclusion that I only gave that look for selfish gain. So I vowed never to give that look again, and to be especially careful with a brother in Christ that I am not in a relationship with.

As I've been studying Proverbs 31, verses 2 and 3 really strike me:

What are you doing my son? What are you doing, son of my womb? What are you doing, son of my vows? Do not give your strength to women, your ways to those who destroy kings.

This is an impassioned plea from a mother to her son (who happens to be a king). She sees the course he is taking with women and with drink, and she is entreating him to stop and think. And change.

I don't want to ever be that woman in earlier chapters of Proverbs and alluded to in Proverbs 31:2-3. I want to be that woman in the Proverbs 31:10-31. I want to be the kind of woman that a Psalm 1 (blessed) man would be interested in. :)

======================================================

Random, I know. Just felt compelled to share.

2 comments:

  1. I don't even know who you are, but I stumbled upon your blog, and this just blessed me! Thank you for your walk of faith and call to purity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff! It's so easy to be selfishly manipulative . . .

    Also, I really like the new backdrop for the blog.

    ReplyDelete